Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Icebreaker/Energizer: Tarzan & Jane

Often former colleagues and/or former participants contact me to ask me about the icebreaker/energizer "Tarzan & Jane".

This is a GREAT energizer, one that I've often used after the lunchbreak, or when I noticed that energy levels in the group were low. It wasn't invented by me, and I don't know who did, but here's a general description of the exercise:

First you, as the facilitator, will need to explain the following:

In this game there are 3 different positions you can take:
Tarzan

Jane
The Bear


The pictures show how I usually demonstrate them, but feel free to pick your own versions, as long as they're easy to distinguish.

Now the group forms pairs who stand back to back.
Count until 3, and at 3, each person turns around to face their partner in one of the three positions. Decide who's the winner of the round by applying these rules:
- Tarzan beats The Bear
- The Bear beats Jane
- And Jane - of course - beats Tarzan :-)

The person who has lost sits down. The winner seeks another partner for the next round.
If there's a draw (both partners have chosen the same position) they stay together and take part in the next round.

Continue until there is one pair left, and do the exercise one more time to determine the final "winner". Award him/her with a small prize or reward.

After this exercise the group is energized again! I've had people do this icebreaker again after class when we were waiting to be seated in a restaurant for a group dinner. It's great fun, try it sometime and let me know how it worked out!

No comments: